Economic/Financial Analyst (23-PB-11)
The Office of the Parliamentary Budget Officer (OPBO) is an independent and non-partisan entity providing stimulating and rewarding work. We offer learning opportunities to support professional and career development, competitive salaries, excellent benefits, four weeks’ vacation leave and more!
The law mandates us to support Canadian democracy by providing Parliament with analysis that raises “the quality of parliamentary debate and promotes greater budget transparency and accountability.” This includes costing election proposals made by political parties.
The PBO is supported by a dynamic team of highly specialized analysts and advisors. We are currently searching for candidates to support our work as an Economic/Financial Analyst.
The Economic/Financial Analyst conducts analysis that informs exceptional advice on economic and financial matters for the Parliamentary Budget Officer, Parliament, and Canadians.
UNIVERSITY / POST-UNIVERSITY RECRUITMENT
Indeterminate and Determinate - Multiple positions available
Note: This selection process may also be used to establish a pool of prequalified candidates that could be used to staff determinate and indeterminate positions at the Office of the Parliamentary Budget Officer that require similar knowledge or competencies.
BAN-01 ($71,331 - $92,192) leading to the target level of BAN-03
BAN-02 ($87,143 - $112,623) leading to the target level of BAN-03
*The target level of BAN-03 has a salary range of $95,013 to $123,822.
Open to: Canadian Citizens and permanent residents who are legally able to work in Canada. Consideration will be given to applicants with a valid work permit at time of appointment for determinate employment only. The validity of the work permit must be for a period of no less than one (1) year from the date of appointment.
Work Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Closing date: January 7th, 2024 – 23:59 Eastern Standard Time
Various Language requirements:
- English or French essential
- Bilingual Imperative:
- Reading comprehension: Intermediate level (B) or Superior level (C)
- Written expression: Intermediate level (B)
- Oral interaction: Intermediate level (B) or Superior level (C)
The candidate must:
- successfully complete their Master's degree or PhD in Economics, Finance or in a similar field from a recognized university by December 1, 2024; OR
- have obtained recently (after January 1, 2023) a Master’s degree or PhD in Economics, Finance or in a similar field from a recognized university.
Knowledge, Abilities and Competencies:
- Knowledge of financial, economic or quantitative analysis methodologies
- Knowledge of OPBO’s activities in the parliamentary context
- Ability to research, consider and analyse economic or financial data and information
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing
- Ability to communicate effectively orally
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Occasional overtime and variable hours on short notice may be required.
- Travel to various locations within or outside of the National Capital Region may be required.
- Willingness and ability to be present in the workplace a minimum of 2 days per week.
Condition of Employment:
- Successful pre-employment enhanced reliability security screening
Additional Information – please read carefully:
- You must include a cover letter with your CV, indicating how you meet the education criteria of the position and how you could help fulfill our mandate.
- When submitting your application, please confirm that you are either a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or in possession of a valid work permit. If you will be eligible to work in Canada but have not yet obtained a work permit, please confirm in cover letter. Proof of Canadian citizenship, permanent residency or valid work permit will be required prior to appointment.
- If you are currently employed in the Public Service of Canada, please identify your employment status (e., indeterminate, determinate, student, casual), substantive group and level, and current second language evaluation results in your application.
- Depending on the number of applications, a top-down selection will most likely be used at the screening stage of the process. Selected applicants will be invited to complete a case study during the week of January 15th, 2024. Interviews will be scheduled January 22nd- 26th, 2024. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- The BAN-02 group and level will be considered only for those with a PhD degree in Economics, Finance, or a similar field from a recognized University.
- Progression to the target BAN-03 level (typically within three to five years from the BAN-01 level) is based on a combination of performance evaluation and merit assessment.
- Satisfactory references and proof of education are essential conditions of employment.
- We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the contact information below. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
- During this staffing process, masculine generic refers to both binary and non-binary genders and is used for conciseness purposes only.
Please quote Staffing Process 23-PB-11 and send us your C.V. along with your cover letter by email: email@example.com.
We thank all those who apply.